Friday, August 22, 2014

Celiac Bucket List

Lately, I've been debating on giving up blogging or keeping it going.  When I started, I never anticipated how tough it was to get your words literally out there.  But, today, I got quite a bit of motivation, and thought I'd share a bit of my Celiac Bucket List.  It was truly an honor that Jennifer Esposito gave me some props today, and passed my blog on.  Jennifer is a true inspirational Celiac  and voice for so many of us...not to mention a hero!  With that said...let's get started onto yummy goodness that every Celiac should try whether placing an online order, or visiting in person, I've heard rave reviews of all that I've mentioned.  

Do you live in an area that has a lot of fresh, gluten free options?  Surprisingly the Pittsburgh area, and especially the area I live has very few options.  We aren't big traveler s -but, thanks to Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram, I get to see lots of yummy options and makes me wish even more to have places -such as, Jennifer's Way BakeryBabyCakes NYCP. S. & Co..  So, as you can guess, all of them are on my Celiac Bucket List!


Jennifer's Way Bakery is located in NY, NY and owned by the amazing Jennifer Esposito who is a true voice, and advocate for Celiac...and is a Celiac herself!  Jennifer's Way Bakery is a Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Organic, Allergy Friendly Bakery!  In addition to the bakery itself, you can also purchase cookies (chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, and chocolate chunk) and pancake mix online.  Jennifer's Way Bakery offers "good, clean, delicious products that had integrity, nutrition and simple ingredients".  In addition to the bakery, Jennifer also wrote a book titled "Jennifer's Way:  My Journey with Celiac Disease--What Docotors Don't Tell You and How You Can Learn to Live Again."  


BabyCakes NYC is located in NYC, LA, and Orlando and owned my Erin McKenna.  BabyCakes NYC goodies are Refined Sugar-Free, Gluten Free, Wheat-Free, Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Vegan, and Kosher.  In addition to the bakery, there BabyCakes NYC has an app and 2 books: BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York’s Most Talked-About Bakery, and BabyCakes Covers the Classics...with a 3rd in the works!  I have been lucky enough to visit the Orlando location in Downtown Disney several times before the location closed -but, the selection doesn't compare to the NYC selection so I hear!  So, I've partially filled my Babycakes NYC bucket list -but, not completely! 


(Donuts I made using BabyCakes NYC recipe)


P. S. & Co.  is located in Philadelphia, PA, and owned by Andrea Kyan.  P. S. & Co. is an organic, gluten-free, vegan, kosher parve cafe.  Last year, I was lucky enough to win a contest P. S. & Co. offered, and got to try their amazing sweets. The PBJ Crisp was to die for!  
One day, I'm just going to have a do a road trip, and visit them all...and pack comfy cloths for room to expand from all the yummy goodness!!!  

Locally, we do have a few yummy goodness options:

The Gluuteny is a dedicated gluten free, dairy free bakery where everything is made in-house, from scratch, by hand, daily.  They offer cakes, cookies, pizza crust, cupcakes, mixes, and more!!!  You bet each year, they make our birthday cakes!!  



SunnyBakes is a Cafe located in SunnyBridge Natural Foods.  SunnyBakes is a dedicated gluten free bakery and cafe.  Anytime we stock up on gluten free foods from SunnyBridge, Miss J without a doubt needs a sweet SunnyBakes treat, too!  
We are very lucky to have a few places to get our yummy goodness, gluten free fix -but, wish we could move Jennifer's Way, BabyCakes NYC, and P.S. & Co. here too.  A Celiac girl can dream, right?!?!?  The biggest comfort of them all is being 100% safe food for Celiacs.  Not to mention, they are all a small business...always have to support the little guys!   

Where are your favorite gluten free places?  

1 comment:

  1. I love this bucket list! I just went to the NYC ones, and loved Babycakes NYC. The doughnuts you made came out so well. I've only tried the recipe out, and I need a bit more practice before I get them as well as the ones I've tried at Babycakes.

    P.S. & Co is on my list as well. And, I have never heard of the local places, but they sound wonderful. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete