Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Work in Progress: Mac & Cheesy

While looking on Pinterest for dinner ideas, a light bulb went off! My daughter requested Mac & Cheese for dinner but wanted to make a version with "real" cheese instead of Velveeta. So, I thought why not made a version of the cheesy sauce I used last night for the Philly steak sloppy Joe's I made last night (posted on FB page).

So, I gathered milk, cornstarch, pasta, cheese, butter, and gave it a shot! It didn't turn our horrible but it wasn't the best. The next time I try, I think I'll add less cornstarch and more sharp cheddar, and spices.

Recipe for the first attempt:
1 cup of cold milk
2 TBSP cornstarch
2 cups of pasta
1 TBSP butter
1 cup if shredded cheese

- Make pasta as instructed on bag
- In a separate pot, whisk cold milk and cornstarch until blended. Then, add butter. Continue to whisk until thickens. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain and add pasta to cheese mixture

We topped our mac & cheese with real bacon bits, and a little more sharp cheddar.

I still haven't forgetting about this weeks meal plan...I'm sort of flying my the seat of my pants this week! I start back to work next week, and my head is all over the place! Hoping to put together the rest of this week, and next weeks plan tonight!






No comments:

Post a Comment