Monday, June 11, 2012

Recipe from a new cookbook: Cranberry Chocoalte Chip Cereal Bars

Yesterday during a trip to Barnes and Noble, I found a bargain priced cookbook:  Allergy-Free Cookbook (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut Free).  Last evening, I made the Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cereal Bars, and enjoyed them this morning!  My daughter (who is 2 1/2) ate her whole portion...and so did my nephew and niece who I would classify as picky eaters!  

The recipe is as follows:
6 1/2 cups gluten-free corn or rice cereal squares (I used Chex Rice Cereal)
1 / 2 cup (1 stick) margarine (dairy free if needed)
1 bag (about 10 ounces) miniature marshmallows
1 package (6 ounces) dried cranberries (about 1 1/3 cups)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (dairy free if needed)

1.  Line 13x9 inch pan with foil; spray with nonstick cooking spray

2.  Place 2 cups cereal in large bowl.  Coarsely crush with back of large spoon or hands.  Stir in cranberries.

3. Melt Margarine in large saucepan over low heat.  Add marshmallows; stir constantly until melted and smooth.  Remove from heat; stir in remaining 4 1/2 cups whole cereal and crushed cereal mixture until well blended.  Stir in chocolate chips.

4.  Press mixture into prepared pan.  Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.  Remove from pan using foil; cut into squares.

Makes about 30 squares

Note:  This recipe can be made Gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free.  

I would love if you would make a comment of what you think if you make them!   


1 comment:

  1. Great recipe! It was fun and easy. I wanted to give in halfway through and just dig into the chocolate-y deliciousness. I restrained myself though and the bars made it to the fridge. One word...yumm-o!

    ReplyDelete